Wednesday, September 22, 2010

school reads

We prepare and prepare for these school assignments that we know will be a bit tricky for our Chris.  We wonder how we will handle some of them and hope we make the right decisions.

And then the school goes and takes it easy on us.  For his reading assignment this week, his fourth grade class was reading this story, I'm New Here.  Go ahead; go check it out. I'm hoping this story is available at your library.  Or maybe your kids use the Houghton Mifflin Readers too.

It was a story with so many parallels for my Chris that he smiled and nodded knowingly the whole way through.  And since we have been home for a while now, he was just a perfect spot to talk about it.  We had to pause after almost every paragraph as there was just so much Chris wanted to say. 

There are so few books out there that really are able to relate, I thought I'd share the love. Finding books that spark these conversations are priceless.

** Edited to ask:  What books have you found helpful to get conversations going with your youngsters that were adopted?  Adoption related or not.  It seems that the good ones are few and far between...  Any suggestions would be appreciated!

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Very neat. Another book people might like who adopt younger kids would be Star of the Week. I just bought it after lots of adoptive parents mentioned it. I wish there were more adoption stories for young boys. There are so many with girls, and chances are good I will have one or both boys 0-6 years of age.

kelly said...

That looks like a great story! It's great that Chris could relate and had a lot to talk about.

Heidi said...

That looks like a great story. I'm so glad Chris could relate to it so well.

Adoptive Parents of Three said...

Speaking of books - Tom has fallen in love with Diary of a Wimpy Kid. He likes the easy language and the pictures in it. I have a deal with him that for every five pages he reads, I read one to him.

James and Melanie said...

This post makes me smile! I'm so happy that Chris found something to help him express his feelings. It's great that the school made such a good choice. I think text book companies are finally becoming more intuned to what "today's children" need. How exciting! Oh and thanks to your other comments for the great book ideas!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails